written by Ben Alexander
Soon after we filmed our segment for ABC’s Shark Tank back in September I got together with our team and we talked about what we needed to do to prepare for the potential exposure (and rapid growth) we’d get in the months after the episode aired.
In September the Shark Tank producers made no guarantees about WHEN the episode would air, if at all, so we had to prepare for the exposure within a possible window of December 2013 to May 2014.
This meant that we had to upgrade our servers at a significant cost without being sure the episode would even air! We didn’t want to drag our tail on the upgrades and then watch our website crash when the episode finally aired.
Thankfully we got the call from ABC that our segment will air January 17th of 2014.
There are several changes that we made in the last 3 months:
1. We brought on a CFO to look at our entire operation and prepare the organization for fast growth.
2. We upgraded our servers and website to focus on recruiting more Regional Partners, and handle more website views at one shot.
3. We partnered with the largest balloon distributor in the country to sell our Balloon Distractions Balloon Basics kit. When Shark Tank airs we might sell 5, or we might sell 5,000!
4. Right now we are drafting a new comprehensive Independent Contractor agreement that encompasses all the levels within the company, from Artist to Regional Partner.
5. We’ve modified the sales compensation to heavily incentivize recruiting and better training for our Independent Contractors.
6. We formed up an Advisory Board of successful business owners who meet once a month and look at this business with a fresh perspective. One of the recommendations of the board was to solidify our online footprint, hence the content in this blog.
….. Shark Tank forced me to look at my company in a new light, and take some steps that I probably should have taken years ago.
These improvements made the company stronger not only for new people looking to join us but for all the Independent Contractors already working with us.
You live and you learn, right?